How to get a visa to Vietnam
While most nationalities require a visa to visit Vietnam, obtaining a tourist visa is relatively easy for many. The e-Visa option is available to citizens of 80 countries, including those from most EU nations, the UK, the US, Australia, and New Zealand, as well as various countries in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, and Latin America. To obtain an e-Visa, one can apply through a user-friendly online form before traveling.
What documents do I need for a Vietnam visa application?
Please make sure you prepare the following documents for your visa application process:
Visa on arrival:
1. Apply for your visa through the local embassy
The process of getting a business visa or a tourist visa is generally the same. Most tourists get their visa through a Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate office in their country of residence or in their travel country before entering Vietnam.
For a tourist visa, you will need to submit:
- Application form:You can complete the form online
( https://visa.mofa.gov.vn) or download the PDF file and fill it out.
- Original passport: Must be valid for at least 6 months from the intended date of entry: If you request a loose-leaf visa, a copy of your passport is sufficient.
- 01 passport-sized photo with no glass wears. 01 additional photo is needed in case you apply for a loose-leaf visa.
- Visa fees: Must be money order, or cashier’s check, or company check. Cash is accepted if you send in your application in person. The fee will depend on the type of visa you are applying for.
- Mail Service: Prepaid self-addressed return envelope is required if you want to have the passport returned by post (FedEx and USPS is recommended).
The form and the fee can vary by country, so please check directly the Vietnamese embassy or consulate to which you are applying.
A business visa usually also requires a letter of support from your sponsor agency or company in Vietnam. In person, the process usually takes 7-10 working days, and by mail, the process usually takes 2-3 weeks, depending on the service you use, although times can vary considerably by embassy or consulate. If you are mailing, please note that you need to make arrangements to have your passport with visa returned to you.
2. Apply for your a visa on arrival
Another option to obtain a visa is to apply for an approval letter online to pick up the visa upon landing at international airports in Vietnam. Here are the steps involved in this process:
- Submit an online form for the pre-approved visa letter.
- Receive the visa letter in 3-5 working days (in Emergency Cases, it can be processed in just 2-3 HOURS)
- Prepare all documents, required stamping fee, board the plane to Vietnam and get the visa stamped on passport upon arrival at Vietnam airport.
Notes: visa on arrival is applicable to air travel only.
3. Apply online for an e-visa
E-visa is by far the most simple way to get a visa for Vietnam, the process involves the following steps:
- Use the secure online form to submit your application.
- Upload passport bio page and a passport sized photo.
- Pay for the e-visa fee.
- Wait 5-7 working days for the e-visa to be delivered to your email or you can also download the e-visa here. Expedited service is also available upon request.
- Print out the e-visa document and present at the Immigration counter at Vietnam airport.
Notes: E-visa is currently available to 80 countries for entering through 33 checkpoints.
Visa information by country
|Country||Mission locations||City||Distance to Vietnam|
|17192 km (10682 mi)|
|6972 km (4332 mi)|
|9135 km (5676 mi)|
|8118 km (5044 mi)|
|9751 km (6059 mi)|
|17881 km (11111 mi)|
Bandar Seri Begawan
|1273 km (791 mi)|
|8370 km (5201 mi)|
|457 km (284 mi)|
|11573 km (7191 mi)|
|17611 km (10943 mi)|
|2458 km (1528 mi)|
|16004 km (9944 mi)|
|9016 km (5602 mi)|
|9242 km (5743 mi)|
|8241 km (5121 mi)|
|10073 km (6259 mi)|
|9328 km (5796 mi)|
|8727 km (5422 mi)|
|8775 km (5453 mi)|
|3190 km (1982 mi)|
|1764 km (1096 mi)|
|7645 km (4751 mi)|
|9437 km (5864 mi)|
|3865 km (2402 mi)|
|5350 km (3324 mi)|
|6436 km (3999 mi)|
|891 km (553 mi)|
|1295 km (805 mi)|
|14649 km (9102 mi)|
|3671 km (2281 mi)|
|1568 km (974 mi)|
|9638 km (5989 mi)|
|9164 km (5694 mi)|
|9178 km (5703 mi)|
|17311 km (10757 mi)|
|1465 km (910 mi)|
|8723 km (5420 mi)|
|6064 km (3768 mi)|
|8377 km (5205 mi)|
|5283 km (3283 mi)|
|6684 km (4153 mi)|
|1495 km (929 mi)|
|8736 km (5428 mi)|
|10362 km (6439 mi)|
|3111 km (1933 mi)|
|10768 km (6691 mi)|
|8635 km (5366 mi)|
|9617 km (5976 mi)|
|808 km (502 mi)|
|7573 km (4706 mi)|
|United Arab Emirates||
|5793 km (3599 mi)|
|10033 km (6234 mi)|
|14100 km (8761 mi)|
|5183 km (3221 mi)|
|17668 km (10979 mi)|
Questions and Answers (04)
Hello - I'm an overseas Vietnamese living in the United States, am I eligible for a 5-year visa exemption? If so, where can I apply and what documents are needed? - Thank you.
@Trinh, Yes, you are eligible for the 5-year visa exemption. Please contact the nearest embassy or consulate of Vietnam in the USA for the application procedures.
i have tried to apply for an e visa but my South African Nationality is not an option on the drop down menu. can i obtain a visa on arrival or must i get one before?
Since South African passports are NOT on the list of eligible countries for e-visas, you will need to apply for a visa at the embassy of Vietnam in Pretoria before your trip.
I would like to get a Vietnam visa for 2 people. We would need it to be processed within 24 hours. We are Canadian citizens and are flying into Ho Chi Minh on Sunday April 30th. Is this possible and how much will it cost? Thank you!
@Tomas, yes, it is possible to expedite your e-visa application in 24 hours if it is already pending. Alternatively, if you have not yet applied for your e-visa, please use this form to submit your application.
My name is Uzoma Osiyemi. I will like to make an enquiry about getting a Vietnam tourist visa. I contacted the embassy for information on this and I was given this information “ You need to book a tour with a travel agent in Vietnam. Kindly contact a travel agency in Vietnam of your choice to ask them to process a visa approval letter for your travel to Vietnam. After the visa approval letter is sent to the Embassy, you can have your visa issued from the Embassy“ I hold a Nigerian passport and my Husband holds a Belgium passport, we both live in Ireland. I will like to know the cost to process a visa for both I and my husband and will Also like to know how long it will take for visa processing.
@Uzoma, We have just emailed with a few recommendations for agencies who are offering tour package and visa letter for their customers. Kindly check your email. Thanks
Frequently asked questions
1. How can I get a visa to travel overland from Cambodia to Vietnam?
2. I am a cruise passenger, how can I apply for a visa?
You can ask the cruise operator to arrange the visa for your entry. As of 2023, the entry visa fee for cruise passengers is $25 US per person. You can also apply for an e-visa online through our service here.
Why apply with us
- 99% on time delivery
- Easy & simple form
- 15+ years of experience
- No hidden charges
- 100% money back guarantee for declined applications