Once you are in Vietnam, you can choose between extending your visa or renewing your visa depending on your travel needs. Please find the guide below for more information about how to extend/renew your visa in Vietnam.
Visa extension/renewal requirements
- Your passport must be valid for more than 6 months from the time of extension
- Your passport has at least 2 blank pages
It is possible to extend your Vietnam visa as long as the total time of your stay is less than 6 months. For example if you apply for a 3 month tourist visa, you are able to extend it for another 3 months.
- You can extend your visa for single entry only (maximum of 3 months).
- You will get an extension stamp on your passport indicating your new stay period.
- You can extend your ongoing visa for a maximum of 02 times.
Visa renewal is good for those who wish to get a new visa without leaving Vietnam.
- You can renew your visa for both multiple/single entry
- Unlike visa extension, you will get a new page sticker on your passport as a new visa
How to apply for visa extension:
You can apply for a visa extension on your own  or apply through a local agency in Vietnam. Steps to apply are as follows:
- Prepare the renewal/extension application form NA5 (download it here) a long with your passport.
Hand in the documents above to the Immigration office below, with the fee if required
- Immigration office in Hanoi: 44-46 Tran Phu, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
- Da Nang: 78 Lê Lợi, Thạch Thang, Hải Châu, Đà Nẵng 550000
- Ho Chi Minh city: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh city
- Working hours: Monday-Friday (Morning: 7am - 11h30am; Afternoon: 1h30pm - 5pm) and Saturday (Morning time only)
- Wait for 5 working days for the result. Normally it takes 5-7 working days for a 1 month visa and 10 working days for a 3 month visa.
Notes: As update by our visitors below, all extensions must be done through a local travel agency!
Extension/overstay due to Covid-19
Update by our website visitorsMarch 16, 2020 - By our visitor Rob Collis
Nir Huppert (December 02, 2018)
Find something wrong? Please contact us to update.
*: You are required to extend your visa through a travel agency in Vietnam, it is not possible to extend the visa yourself directly at the Immigration Office.
Last Updated: April 11, 2020