Vietnam Temporary Resident Card

Foreigners who want to stay in Vietnam for working or studying for a long time should know about a Temporary Resident Card to avoid wasting time and money in applying for a new visa or extending a visa. So, let’s learn about Vietnam Resident Cards in this article!

What is Vietnam resident card?

According to Vietnam Law 2014, Vietnam resident card is a document issued by Vietnam Immigration Department or a competent agency of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for foreigners to reside in Vietnam for a period of time and has equal validity as a visa. However, a resident card allows foreigners to stay in Vietnam for a longer term, travel back and forth to Vietnam without applying for or extending a visa, and get an easy entry to Vietnam.

Vietnam temporary residence card for family/relatives visit (Photo:

Foreigners holding a resident card can enter and exit Vietnam multiple times within the validity of the card and do not have to exit and re-enter to continue the stay.

The validity of a temporary resident card is at least 30 days shorter than the remaining validity of foreigners’ passports and can be divided into 3 main durations below:

  • From 1-2 years: For foreign employees and their relatives (symbolized LD1, LD2, TT)
  • From 2-5 years: For investors, diplomats, students studying abroad, etc. (symbolized DT2, DT3, NN1, NN2, NG3, LV1, LV2, LS, DH)
  • Less than 10 years: For investors (symbolized DT1)

Resident Card in brief

What? Description

Duration of stay

- From 1-5 years 

- Less than 10 years (for DT1 resident card only)

Time of entries

Multiple entries

Exit requirement


Passport requirements

Have a 30-day longer validity than the validity of a resident card (for example at least 13 months for a 1-year card)

Document required

- A written request by agencies (form NA6)

- A guarantee application (form NA7)

- An information form for a temporary resident card (form NA8)

- A valid original passport, visa

- Old temporary residence card (if any)

- A valid work permit, representative officer's certificate, or equivalent documents

- 02 photos in 2x3cm size

Processing time

5 - 7 business days


- US$145 (1-2 year validity)

- US$155 (2-5 year validity)

Who is eligible?

To register a temporary residence card, foreigners must be one of the following cases:

  • Foreigners who have a work permit or a practicing certificate in Vietnam.
  • Foreign investors establishing companies, contributing capital, buying shares in Vietnamese enterprises or foreign enterprises/organizations in Vietnam.
  • Foreigners having spouses, parents and children who have been granted a temporary residence card in Vietnam.
  • Overseas Vietnamese or foreigners having Vietnamese relatives (spouses, parents, children, grandparents....).
  • Foreigners entering Vietnam as diplomats and press according to Vietnam regulations.


Aside from conditions to make you eligible for a resident card above, foreigners must meet a number of requirements:

  • Enter Vietnam for the right purpose regarding provisions of Vietnam Law.
  • Not forced or suspended from exit.
  • Not subject to administrative sanctions, taxes, and other financial obligations.

How to apply?


Foreigners applying for a temporary resident card must have an inviting/guaranteed company/agency/organization in Vietnam. Some documents are required from both foreigners themselves and the agencies/organizations (if they are guarantors submitting their dossiers to Immigration Department for the first time).

  • A written request by agencies for a residence card (form NA6)
  • A guarantee application form (form NA7)
  • An information form for a resident card (form NA8 for foreigners)
  • A valid original passport, current visa
  • Old temporary residence card (if any)
  • A certified copy of a work permit, representative officer's certificate, or other documents proving foreigners are eligible for a temporary residence card with a validity of at least 12 months
  • 02 photos in 2x3 cm size (01 on the information form, 01 set aside)

For guaranteed agencies/organizations submitting dossiers for the first time:

  • A notarized copy of the establishment license of the organization/company
  • A notarized copy of the operation registration of the organization/company
  • A certificate or written notice of use of seal and the signature of the competent person of the organization/company

Step by step guide

  • Step 1: Get ready with all documents required.
  • Step 2: Submit the dossier
    • Guaranteed agencies/companies/individuals submit the dossiers to the office of Immigration Department (Hanoi, Danang, or Ho Chi Minh City). In this step, you will get a receipt with an appointment to get the result if your dossier is completed or be required to supplement other documents if your dossier is not sufficient.
  • Step 3: Get the result
    • Guaranteed agencies/companies/individuals present the receipt, identity card/passport. Pay the fee and get the temporary resident card if the application is approved.

Processing time and fee

The process of registering for a residence card in Vietnam takes around 05 business days since the Immigration Office receives adequate documents from applicants. The time for submitting/completing the dossier is Monday to Saturday morning and getting the result is Monday to Friday (except for public holidays).

The fee is depending on the validity of your stay in Vietnam, in more detail:

  • From 1 to 2 years: US$145/card.
  • From 2 to 5 years: US$155/card.

Questions and Answers (01)

Ask your question
Contact Information
Martyn Parish
United Kingdom

I am a British Citizen, currently living and working in Vietnam on a 12 month contract with residency card and work permit thru my company. When my present employment contract ends my work permit and residency card will expire too. However, I wish to remain in Vietnam for an extended time period. Could you kindly advise me as to the longest visa period I would be entitled to? Would it be necessary for me to leave Vietnam and return to obtain a new visa?

Your Reply
No more than 2,000 characters, please.
A Answered by Lan

@Martyn Parish, If you do not plan to continue working in Vietnam, you will need to exit the country when your current residency card expires. To re-enter Vietnam, you will need to obtain a new 3-month visa.

4 people found this helpful

Frequently asked questions

1. Can I get a residence card instead of a visa when coming to Vietnam for the first time?

No. A visa is compulsory for every foreigner when coming to Vietnam for the first time. A residence card is used for those who want to stay for a longer time than the validity of a visa, and usually for the purpose of working, studying, visiting relatives, etc.

2. Do I have to apply for a visa when I exit and reenter Vietnam with a residence card?

No. If your residence card is still valid, you can exit and re-enter Vietnam without a visa. Your residence card plays an equal role as a visa.

3. I got a business visa (DN), can I register a resident card?

No. A resident card is not available for a business visa (DN) and tourist visa (DL).

4. Can I exit Vietnam if I lose my resident card?

No. Foreigners must show a visa or resident card to exit Vietnam. In this case, you need to inform the local police about the loss and process a resident card renewal to exit Vietnam. You will have to pay an administrative fine if staying in Vietnam or be denied to leave Vietnam without a visa/resident card.

5. What are the requirements for a passport to apply for a temporary resident card?

Since a temporary resident card will have a validity of at least 12 months and expire 30 days prior to the passport’s expiration date, your passport must be valid for at least 13 months from your application time.

6. Is it possible to extend a resident card? When should I do that?

Yes. A resident card can be extended. You can send your extension application latest on the last valid day of the resident card. However, the process takes 5 - 7 working days, thus you are highly recommended to extend the card 5 - 10 days in advance of the expiration date.

7. What is the penalty for an overdue resident card?

According to Clause 3, Article 18 of Decree 144/2021/ND-CP of the government, foreigners not renewing or extending a resident card after 16 days to less than 30 days after the expiration date will be fined from 3,000,000 VND to 5,000,000 VND.

8. Where do I submit the dossiers for a resident card?

You can submit the dossiers at one of the three Vietnam Immigration offices below:

  • Hanoi office (in the North): 44/46 Tran Phu, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi.
  • Ho Chi Minh City office (in the South): 333/335/337 Nguyen Trai, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
  • Danang office (in the Center): 7 Tran Quy Cap, Hai Chau District, Danang.

Contact sales if you have additional questions.

Contact support if you already submitted your visa application on our website.

Back to top

Why apply with us

  • 99% on time delivery
  • Easy & simple form
  • 15+ years of experience
  • No hidden charges
  • 100% money back guarantee for declined applications
Apply Now

Need more help?

Contact us at:
Questions? Chat with us!)
(8.00 AM-16.00 PM, GMT+7, Whatsapp)
Thu Jun 20 2024, 20:11:39 (Hanoi)
Excellent 4.8 out of 5

Recommended on